Einstein’s Last Answer

Winner: 2013’s Blog of the Year: #3192 Relax and Succeed - When you really pay attentionLast night I heard the replay of an interview with some scholar on Michael Enright’s program, The Sunday Edition. He claimed that the very last answer Albert Einstein gave in life was to the question: If you were to start your life over again, is there anything you would do differently? And supposedly the greatest scientist known to modern man replied, “I would study more Talmud.” There are debates about whether this actually happened, but supposing it did: what would it teach us?

For those unfamiliar with it, think of the Talmud as essentially a Jewish holy book. Interesting. A noted scientist wishing he would have read more of a religious text would have a lot of people recoiling, and yet many scientists are religious. It is true that religious belief was at the heart of many an ugly deed done by mankind. But what people believe and what was intended can easily be lost in translation.

192 Relax and Succeed - I have no special talent

This is why spiritual love needs to be shared directly with others and the world around us. Writing it down is helpful—as hopefully this itself is—but it cannot hope to substitute for the effects generated by people actually turning these words into verbs in the everyday world. Loving, compassionate verbs.

Every holy book and every prophet has talked about love. Love has been paramount. Yes, it is a shame that people of all walks of life can be convinced to use religion as a cudgel to strike others with, but most of us can easily see that it would be quite easy for loving people of different religions to share the Earth in peace and productive harmony.

But why would Einstein want more Talmud? The word itself basically means instruction, or learning. Rather than books about physical miracles etc, religious texts are best seen as basic lessons on the discovery of love. The Talmud or Torah, the Bible, the Koran, the Bhagavad Gita, Tao te Ching etc. etc. are not lessons on being judgmental, dismissive, disrespectful, offended, angry, or violent.

Yes, I know it’s possible to interpret them that way, but if they’re not really about love, isn’t a bit odd that 100% of these books could be interpreted that way? Read with a clear head and a happy, healthy heart, they are in fact all lessons on love, compassion and connection. And those who have seen behind the veil of existence all agree on this.

192 Relax and Succeed - Buddha was not a Buddhist

Forget that the two worlds every got separated; the prophets weren’t sharing religious information. They were telling people about how to live a rewarding life. They had come to understand enlightenment and they were trying to share the secret to living in the moment. Because that is the same moment in which it is possible to love every aspect of your existence—including the fact that you and all others are truly One.

The Talmud:
“The highest form of wisdom is kindness.”

The Bible:
“Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.”

The Koran:
“All God’s creatures are His family; and he or she is the most beloved of God who tries to do the most good to God’s creatures.”

The Bhagavad Gita:
“Strive constantly to serve the welfare of the world; by devotion to selfless work one attains the supreme goal of life. Do your work with the welfare of others always in mind.”

The Tao te Ching:
“See others as yourself. See families as your family. See towns as your town. See countries as your country. See worlds as your world.”

The Buddha: “Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.”

And it goes on and on and on. Again, can people scurry around looking for/creating uglier ideas from these texts? Yes. We see them on the news every night. But we must remember the news is selling us soap. But since we wouldn’t stay sitting there for soap ads, they have to scare us into not leaving our seats.

192 Relax and Succeed - We are not human beingsThey do that by using the few people who take ugly interpretations of those texts and then they magnify their actions. But there really aren’t many of those sorts of people. The vast majority of people are readily able to access their fundamentally loving nature. They are fundamentally kind. And most people who enter into religious practice sincerely do so as a way of increasing their sense of belonging and love for both themselves and others.

It is easy to present differences as obstacles, but I would urge you to see the different religions as different routes up one mountain. And regardless of which road-map you use, so long as your basic direction is loving, then you are surely ascending, and you are sure to attain the beautiful perspective that goes along with your rise in wisdom.

Keep love in your heart. Yes it’s good for others. But you are us and we are you, so it is good for you as well. And so it is with love. All who engage with it are victorious. This is why I love you.

peace and a loving embrace. s

PS Attached is a follow up article that stemmed from the controversy this one generated:
Science and Spirituality

Scott McPherson is an Edmonton-based writer, public speaker, and mindfulness facilitator who works with individuals, companies and non-profit organizations locally and around the world.

10 thoughts on “Einstein’s Last Answer

1. Howard October 29, 2013 / 6:58 am

Are there any documented references for the “I would study more Talmud.” quote by Einstein? What was the documentary that mentioned this, and what references did they use? Or is this another alleged quote from Einstein that doesn’t have anything to back it up? (like the bees quote)

• Anonymous October 29, 2013 / 8:59 am

I want the answer to this too.

• relaxandsucceed October 29, 2013 / 9:03 am

Hello Howard. Thanks for asking. I should have thought to add the link when I wrote it, but I think it was about a week after I’d heard the documentary on Radio. I listen to radio documentaries incessantly, so it might take me a bit to track it back down. I’ve already sent emails to the two most likely sources (CBC’s Ideas and The Sunday Edition/The Enright Files). You can search for it if you like, but I’ve found that’s difficult due to the myriad of information on Einstein that’s on the web. As coincidence has it, someone else asked me recently too, so I’ll work to track it down and I’ll post it on the blog here.
      I’m not sure which “bees quote” you mean, but it may have come from another documentary so I’ll include *that* link because I believe I did manage to find the right one, although understandably everyone’s been doing a lot of bee documentaries lately. I hope you find this one as fascinating as I did. (http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/episodes/2013/10/03/dancing-in-the-dark-the-intelligence-of-bees-2/#igImgId_42036)

• zach October 30, 2013 / 11:07 am

It seems to be apocryphal. I did a bit of searching on the ‘net and would be surprised if the author can come up with something substantial.

• relaxandsucceed October 30, 2013 / 12:05 pm

I suspect you’re right Zach. I mean, who would really know what he said other than him and who he said it to? I’m just glad that none of the debate has anything to do with my point in writing my own piece. For me it was just a starting off point to discuss the idea of love. That said, I’ll still keep looking for the link to the documentary and will post it when I track it down. My challenge is that I listen to such a huge number of documentaries.

• Aaron Fast December 6, 2014 / 8:28 pm

This quote was apparently also given in the “Idiot’s Guide to the Talmud” (which I heard from reading this BBC article: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24367959). I don’t know if it is sourced there, in the Idiot’s Guide.
      It is worth noting that the Talmud is not a traditional “religious text” in an ordinary sense. It is an exceptionally dense and difficult series of spiritual-legal-logical puzzles “which stretches to well over 10 million words across 38 volumes.” (quoting that article again, which is accurate in this regard at least). It has been translated it into Korean and is studies it in some South Korean schools because of its intellectual rigor. As such, my point is that if this quote is true, you are not forced to read it as you would if he had mentioned a more overtly spiritually or mystical text. Many people study of the Talmud for the pure pleasure and intellectual benefit of it. While it is laced with a religious worldview, it is rarely a theosophical text, more often diverging into complex legal disputes, hairsplitting analysis of letter-by-letter scriptural debates (generally on legal issues, again), complex allegories – and all of this in a cryptic Aramaic with 1400 years of commentary on the page alongside it. So all I’m saying, is you can’t read this like Einstein saying “Wish I’d read more Bible!”. He may have just been re-exposed to Talmudic study (he had some in his youth already), and rekindled an interest in it late in life (not uncommon).

• Scott McPherson December 6, 2014 / 11:41 pm

That may be the case. Personal experiences make me aware that there are certain very powerful sensations that come with death and dying and while I wouldn’t call those religious at all, I think spiritual would be as good a term as any. And at that level, the spiritual and the practical can be unified. And when those feelings hit you know they are absolutely universal to all people because then we can see how everyone else is still blinded by the same thing that blinded us. That said, you’re welcome to choose your own metaphor. The symbol is never the point. It’s just that if the quote is true, and if he did say it very close to death, then I at least feel entirely confident in stating that he would have been in a very particular state of mind and that the reference he would be making would not be regarding hair-splitting legal details but rather the big philosophical questions in life. All that said, I would like to sincerely thank you for your comment. It was very informative and well presented and I think it adds a lot to the conversation. I appreciate that. Have a great day.

2. Aaron Fast December 6, 2014 / 8:30 pm

…pardon my typos above. i figure we are speaking informally here, and my half-editing will be forgiven. peace.

• Scott McPherson December 6, 2014 / 11:42 pm

It absolutely will. Your ideas were so well presented that I didn’t even notice those kinds of less-significant details.